The legal conflict between Prince Harry and the UK Home Office regarding the prince’s safety while there is over.
The Duke of Sussex filed for a judicial review in the High Court over two years ago after the Home Office removed his right to armed security when he resigned from his royal duties.
Harry went to court because he was upset that he shouldn’t be able to hire armed guards even privately like the typical UK citizen. His attorneys requested the judge earlier this month to permit him to file a lawsuit challenging the judgements.
But the High Court on Tuesday May 23 ruled that the Duke could not also seek a judicial review over whether to let him pay for the specialist police officers out of his own pocket.
The Home Office said the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) considered it was ‘not appropriate’ for wealthy people to ‘buy’ protective security, which might include armed officers, when it had decided that ‘the public interest does not warrant’ someone receiving such protection on a publicly-funded basis.
Lawyers for the Met Police said Ravec had been ‘reasonable’ in finding ‘it is wrong for a policing body to place officers in harm’s way upon payment of a fee by a private individual’.
Justice Chamberlain also refused Harry permission to bring the second challenge, rejecting on a number of grounds.
The court was told at the earlier hearing that his latest legal challenge was related to an earlier claim he brought against the Home Office after he was told he would no longer be given the ‘same degree’ of personal protective security when visiting the UK.
A full hearing in that challenge, which also focuses on Ravec’s decision-making, is yet to be held.
Sorry for him