A family who was visiting Florida when their 19-month-old daughter overdosed on fentanyl while staying in an Airbnb apartment has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the home rental agency and the property owner.
Only hours after they arrived in Wellington, Florida for a family vacation, Lydie and Boris Lavenir discovered their daughter Enora in her bed. Her face was blue, and white froth was pouring from her lips, the family told the Washington Post, and by the time paramedics arrived after dialing 911, it was too late to save the infant.
According to reports from the Palm Beach County medical examiner and an independent toxicology assessment, her demise was determined to be the result of fentanyl exposure.
The Lavenir family has now filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Airbnb, the vacation homeowner, and the prior renter following their daughter’s death from an accidental fentanyl overdose.
The family’s wrongful death lawsuit names Airbnb, the property owners, and the prior renter as defendants. They allege the rental company and vacation homeowner failed to ensure the safety of the property, and claim the prior renter was negligent in allowing drugs to be used at the property and leaving behind drugs or drug residue.
An Airbnb spokesperson in a statement said “Our hearts go out to the Lavenir family and their loved ones for this devastating loss.”
The prior renter who booked the rental home through Vrbo admitted to police that they had hosted a party at the property where cocaine was present, but investigators were reportedly unable to link those drugs to the girl’s overdose and her death has been deemed accidental.
Fentanyl is an opioid that can be fatal in small doses and has caused thousands of deaths around the country as overdoses surged in recent years.