A man discovered his mother and sister had passed away while hanging birthday decorations for him when he got to work in his burger van.
On Tuesday, February 14, Tyla Wanstall, owner of the Meat ‘N Greet Snack Wagon in Kent, England, discovered the unfortunate event.
Prior to Tyla’s 26th birthday, his mother Leah Churchill, 50, and Brooke Wanstall, 17, had spent the evening hanging balloons; nevertheless, on Valentine’s Day, he came face to face with their dead bodies.
He thinks the gas leaked when his mother turned on the gasoline generator to keep her and Brooke warm, and he believes they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tyla locks the generator inside the van at night for security even though it is left outdoors during working hours.
Speaking to KentOnline, Tyla said he initially thought his mum and sister had fallen asleep when he discovered them.
He said: ?I smelt fumes but it just didn?t register straight away, but it became obvious they were both dead.
?It?s heart-breaking to think they spent their last few moments just trying to put a smile on my face.?
He described his mum, who worked in hospitality, as a ?kind woman who would do anything for anyone?.
She leaves behind two other children ? a 23-year-old daughter Ocean and a 12-year-old son Sonny.
Tyla said his little sister Brooke, who worked as a carer, was a ?live-wire with a huge personality?.
He added: ?She had her whole life in front of her. I don?t know how we?re ever going to get over this.?
Tyla says the tragedy serves as a warning to others about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.