Man chokes to death during Christmas Day eating contest in Uganda

On Christmas Day in Uganda, a 56-year-old man named Sentekola Gad choked to death during an eating competition.

Sentenekora took part in a “amateur” eating contest organized by one Salvan in Kibimbiri, Kihiri sub-country, Kanungu district, according to police spokesperson Fred Enanga.

“The victim died after being choked by the food he was eating, and his body was carried to the Kihihi health centre, where it was determined he was choked to death,” Enanga said in a press conference on Monday morning.

According to him, the authorities are now on the lookout for the competition’s organizer, who allegedly did not follow safety rules when putting on the event.

According to Enanga, the organizer should have notified the participants about the dangers and had medical personnel on board.

“Under normal circumstances, the organizers of the event like in some developed countries, should have informed the competitors of the risk and have medical personnel on board, which was not done.” Enanga added.

A death enquiry file was opened at Kabuga Police Post under SD REF 04/26/12/2021.

The PPRO warned the public against such risky contests like food and alcohol drinking competitions. 

Related Video

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.