Tragic events occurred in Ugbo Paul, a suburb of Abakpa Nike in the Enugu East government area of Enugu State, when three family members and their maid died after eating a poisoned lunch.
Only the family’s nine-month-old newborn daughter escaped the catastrophe, since she was not fed the meal, according to reports.
Mr Lawrence Chukwu, the family’s patriarch; his wife, Chizoba; their daughter, Nazareth; and the maid, Ukamaka, were among the victims.
Mrs Dominic Gloria, a neighbor, told our correspondent that the family went to bed without incident on Friday.
“We woke up on Saturday morning and found the family members struggling for life. We didn’t know what was wrong with them and they were immediately rushed to the 82 Division Army Hospital. Later that day, their maid died.
“After a series of tests, we learnt that the food they ate before they went to sleep on Friday night was contaminated with a poisonous substance. Unfortunately, all efforts to save them failed, as the man and his wife died on Saturday, and on Tuesday morning, their two-year-old daughter equally died,” Gloria added.
Mrs Elizabeth Nwankwo, late Chizoba’s mother, verified the incidence to our correspondent on Tuesday.
She said she got a call from the maid’s family on Saturday after she died.
“When I arrived, I found my daughter and her husband silent. I delivered the body of the housekeeper to her parents for burial, and by the time I returned, both my daughter and her husband had perished. “Their two-year-old daughter, who I was praying would live, died this morning (Tuesday),” she added.
Mrs Nwankwo expressed her grief over the incident, saying that the remains of her grandson had been brought to her home town of Ameta Mgbo, in the Awgu LGA of Enugu State, for burial, while the couple’s bodies were at a morgue.
She said the hospital informed her that the food the family ate before going to bed was contaminated with a poisonous substance.
Nwankwo appealed to Nigerians to come to her aid to take care of the family’s only surviving child.