Bomb kills at least 50 at Shiite mosque in Afghanistan

On Friday, October 8, at least 50 people were killed in an apparent bomb strike at a Shiite mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz, the deadliest attack since US forces departed the country.

A medical source at the Kunduz Provincial Facility stated 35 people had died and more than 50 had been injured, while a doctor at a Doctors Without Borders hospital said 15 people had died and dozens more had been hurt.

An unknown number of people were killed and injured when “an explosion occurred in a mosque of our Shiite brethren” in Kunduz, according to Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.

Bomb kills at least 50 at Shiite mosque in Afghanistan

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

The bomb attack was carried out at the Gozar-e-Sayed Abad Mosque during Friday prayer service when the mosque is typically crowded.

Bomb kills at least 50 at Shiite mosque in Afghanistan

Dost Mohammad Obaida, the deputy police chief for Kunduz province, said that the “majority of them have been killed”. He said the attack may have been carried out by a suicide bomber who mingled among the worshipers.

Bomb kills at least 50 at Shiite mosque in Afghanistan

“I assure our Shiite brothers that the Taliban are prepared to ensure their safety,” Obaida said, adding that an investigation was underway.

Related Video

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.