While a UNIZIK student was on Facebook live, a gas explosion happened, as captured in a video published online.
On Tuesday, October 5, the event that resulted in the death of a female student occurred at El-Shaddai Lodge while an inhabitant of one of the rooms was reportedly preparing popcorn. The girl was raving about her natural hair in a Facebook live broadcast when the gas exploded.
According to an eyewitness, while some residents of the resort were able to evacuate some of their belongings, others were unable to do so due to the rapid spread of the fire. Firefighters were believed to have arrived on schedule as well.
Facebook user, Mazi Michaels Orlukwu-Nyesom Nwadibia Udochukwu disclosed that body of one of the students who was trapped after the incident, was discovered in the evening.
Yesterday was a sad day here in Unizik.
A lodge caught fire from gas explosion. The room occupant was making pop corn when it occurred, the impact of the explosion shattered the girl’s leg plus burnt body, the guy in the room also suffered some burn plus the dog of a lodge occupant was burnt too.
Fire brigade was alerted, they responded in no distant time, but the fire was so fast as most rooms were already burnt. Some occupants were lucky to get some properties out, some weren’t so lucky.
All the while we were there trying to put off the fire, we never knew that a friend was trapped in one of the rooms, wall fell on her from the impact of the explosion, nobody knew, smoke covered the whole rooms, the fire fighters also failed in their responsibility to check everywhere very well.
It was later in the evening that her dead body was discovered.
Really sad. May her gentle soul rest in peace. And quick recovery to the injured.
Watch the video below