An 18-year-old girl electrocuted while charging her phone after her home was struck by lightning

A juvenile girl died after being electrocuted when her house was struck by lightning while she was charging her cellphone.

When Radja Ferreira de Oliveira’s phone was struck by lightning in the early hours of Sunday, August 29, it was plugged into the main socket at her home in Santarem, Brazil.

When lightning hit, the 18-year-old, who was on her phone at the time, received a significant electric shock and passed out.

Emergency services were contacted, but her relatives had already given her first aid and transported her to the hospital by the time the paramedics arrived.

Radja was sadly proclaimed deceased upon arrival.

Girl, 18, electrocuted and killed while charging her phone after her home was struck by lightning

She was the third person to be electrocuted in the Brazilian state of Para last week.

Semeao Tavares was on a phone call in Curua when he was struck by lightning during a different storm on August 25. Medics reached him while he was still alive, but he died from his injuries.

Councillor Raimundo Brito, of the Progressistas political party, was also electrocuted during the same storm while he was plucking a duck in his home in Macura. Brito managed to call for help and was taken to the local health centre, where he was treated for his injuries.

Following Radja’s death, experts have again warned of risks of using a mobile phone while it is still charging.

Related Video

One comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.