EFCC warns hotels to stop helping internet fraudsters after recent raid in Lagos

Hotels around the country have been advised by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to cease assisting internet scammers.

Wilson Uwujaren, the anti-graft agency’s spokesperson, said in a statement on Wednesday that property owners might face criminal charges if they allow their property to be used for cybercrime.

He pointed out that this is a violation of the Advance Fee Fraud Act, which could result in a five-year jail sentence without the possibility of a fine if convicted.

“The Commission cautions hoteliers against making their establishments and facilities havens for cybercrime,” he warned.

The statement was made in response to the EFCC’s recent raid on a hotel in Lagos, which resulted in the detention of several people.

The operatives gained entry into the occupants’ rooms by allegedly seizing the master cards from the management of the hotel at gunpoint.https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?gdpr=0&us_privacy=1—&client=ca-pub-2427099653703778&output=html&h=300&adk=2141876619&adf=3366938152&pi=t.aa~a.1834861711~i.27~rp.4&w=360&lmt=1626353530&num_ads=1&rafmt=1&armr=3&sem=mc&pwprc=4779063894&psa=1&ad_type=text_image&format=360×300&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lindaikejisblog.com%2F2021%2F7%2Fefcc-warns-hotels-to-stop-helping-internet-fraudsters-after-recent-raid-in-lagos.html&flash=0&fwr=1&pra=3&rh=275&rw=330&rpe=1&resp_fmts=3&sfro=1&wgl=1&fa=27&dt=1626353529283&bpp=18&bdt=16557&idt=-M&shv=r20210708&ptt=9&saldr=aa&abxe=1&cookie=ID%3Db8ba40b90b282f63-22ca719cf1c80058%3AT%3D1623685442%3ART%3D1623685442%3AS%3DALNI_MaC1Fgfy1Xmf5KOE3nbhOcnex_WHQ&prev_fmts=360×300%2C360x300%2Cauto%2Cauto%2C240x200%2C0x0%2C360x300&nras=3&correlator=2038120052479&frm=20&pv=1&ga_vid=147907918.1602860109&ga_sid=1626353521&ga_hid=1670273428&ga_fc=0&u_tz=60&u_his=4&u_java=0&u_h=800&u_w=360&u_ah=800&u_aw=360&u_cd=24&u_nplug=0&u_nmime=0&adx=0&ady=2243&biw=360&bih=672&scr_x=0&scr_y=1017&eid=42530671%2C31060474&oid=3&psts=AGkb-H9bNoZdTUZWYS5p0FC7ZXtJ_nEqQirfAqjr2aXzwyI9WO_56mFcrWBZOyfEqpGqKeveEO1vBAQrQ0IJ%2CAGkb-H9UlcALmmybyp8G7mWec_UZ1T-7dbX0pmoPjE6Y1N4jnA2fOqqbhBIEc8WIXpQsXamn-av4t6LZ1A%2CAGkb-H8ooGo7od_C73xZpXGjvv7fI0D-0WBiOo31zdQ_WLHx3_7Dt8-zc9I2BiWhnz2Gbk0-5ImYl_aHTtw-&pvsid=1539810990694446&pem=766&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lindaikejisblog.com%2F&eae=0&fc=384&brdim=0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C360%2C0%2C360%2C672%2C360%2C672&vis=1&rsz=%7C%7Cs%7C&abl=NS&fu=128&bc=31&ifi=9&uci=a!9&btvi=5&fsb=1&xpc=rBpBCRKmAV&p=https%3A//www.lindaikejisblog.com&dtd=1097

 It was also gathered that some of the occupants were naked under the duvet when the operatives gained entry into the rooms.

Uwujaren dismissed the allegations that the operatives invaded the privacy of guests and conducted illegal checks. He said EFCC was acting on verified intelligence on the activities of a suspected syndicate of internet fraudsters.

According to him, the hotel had been under surveillance, and that only the rooms of identified suspects were breached by operatives, with no break-in or violence involved.

He noted that 24 of the 30 people arrested have already confessed their involvement in cyber crimes and related activities.

“There was no incident as the hotel management served with the relevant warrant offered access to the operatives, to carry out their lawful duties,” he said.

Related Video

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.