Military Convoy Ambushed by ISWAP Fighters, Seven Soldiers Killed in Borno

The death toll in a jihadist ambush on a military convoy in Borno state on Saturday rose to eight after two more bodies of soldiers were recovered, security sources said.

Three security sources had initially told AFP six people, including five soldiers and an allied militiaman, were killed in the attack.

“The death toll from the ambush is now eight. The bodies of two more soldiers were recovered,” said one of the sources.

“It is now seven soldiers and one militiaman killed,” he said.

The new toll was confirmed by another source.

Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades opened fire on a convoy of soldiers and an anti-jihadist militia in Kwayamti village, 60 kilometres (36 miles) north of the regional capital Maiduguri.

The convoy was on its way to the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad, some 140 kilometres away, as a security detail for the state governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, who flew by helicopter earlier in the day.

Related video

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.