Residents of Egbeda have been thrown into mourning following the electrocution of two members of a Celestial Church of Christ in the village. It was learnt that the incident happened on Sunday while a service was ongoing in the church.
However, a source explained that four people were affected, adding that while two died, two survived. The deceased, Yinka Adeniyi and Busayo Akande, were holding microphones when they were electrocuted.
It was also learnt that during a visit to the Osun State General Hospital, Asubiaro, Osogbo, on Monday, learnt that the remains of the victims had been deposited in the hospital morgue.A member of the church, who preferred not to be named, said those that were injured were being treated in an undisclosed health facility in Osogbo.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Folasade Odoro, confirmed that the victims died from electrocution.She urged residents to always adhere to safety measures while using electrical appliances, adding that “detectives from our command are also working to unravel other things that may not be immediately evident but may be connected to the incident.”
Recall that one Chinweotito Ehiogu was reportedly electrocuted in the church premises while the Sunday service was going on at Dominion Grace Christian Centre at Mgbaja Ossah in Umuahia North LGA of Abia State.He was said to have died while attempting to rescue another member of the church, Chidiebere, who was allegedly trapped by an unclad wire connected to the church’s generator. Chidiebere, who was barefooted, was also affected by the electrocution.
It was disclosed that the victims were immediately taken to a hospital, where Chinweotito was confirmed dead, while Chidiebere was revived. He added that the remains of Ehiogu was later brought back to the church for series of prayers. The G.O of the church, Pastor Simeon Chibuzor, who confirmed the incident, described it as unfortunate.